Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Creating a YouTube video in iOS4 and Android

I was recently given an assignment to create a video that was to be uploaded to YouTube. Originally, this seemed like a difficult task. After trying to figure out the logistics in my head, I realized I had an iPhone 4 that had the ability to do just what the assignment called for. I decided I would make a video going through the Android marketplace, luckily, my roommate has a Verizon Droid that runs Android.

All it required was to switch the camera over to video instead of still shots and hit record. I had rehearsed my scripts quite a few times before I made the video. Without any extra applications I was able to create the video and even had the ability to trim what parts of the video I wanted. It was an editing tool, but a very crude one at that. Uploading the video was simple, a button in the bottom left corner of the screen needs a click and then you are given a few options. Out of these options one of them says, "Upload to YouTube." Give this button a click, sign into your YouTube account and boom! it starts to upload.

I had a very different experience when I was attempting to use an Android device to upload a video onto YouTube. I used a Droid to capture the video. Capturing the video was as simple as iOS4 but when it came to actually uploading the video to YouTube it was quite a different story. Instead of the simple login page that I was shown on the iPhone. I had to log in to my gmail account and have all of my information sync onto the new device. Once I did that I was finally able to upload the video and it took a bit longer than the iPhone did.

Overall, both experiences went rather smoothly. The only hiccup in the process for Android was logging into the user YouTube account. Both of these user experiences are simple and straightforward.

No comments: