Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Thoughts on the current operating systems

I've been shooting off random information about the different operating systems that run on smartphones today, but I've yet to give my opinion on each one. I figured I would take the time to post my thoughts on Android, iOS and BlackBerry's operating systems. As I've never owned an Android phone my experience with that platform is limited, but I will give my opinion from the short experiences I've had.

Android:

I had the chance to use my roommates original Droid which is running Android 2.2 or Froyo. Aesthetically the user interface is very pleasing. Similar to the iOS the Android platform features pages that the user can swipe through when looking for applications.

Pros:
  • Open platform
  • Aesthetically pleasing user interface
Cons:
  • Confusing menu selection
  • No multitasking
iOS:

Pros:
  • Easy menu selection
  • Multitasking
  • AirPrint and AirPlay
  • Understandable UI
  • Attractive UI
Cons:
  • Closed platform
  • Restrictive application store
BlackBerry:

Pros:
  • None
Cons:
  • Abundance

As a previous BlackBerry user, I really enjoyed the operating system when I was using it. The system had some weird quirks that I didn't enjoy, but overall I didn't mind it. This was at a time when I hadn't experience many other phone operating systems and was before the first iPhone had come out. There was nothing else really on the market to play with. But once Android and iOS came out I learned what I was missing. It wasn't up until this past year that I purchased an iPhone 4 and I absolutely love it. The iOS as a whole was vastly superior to the BlackBerry experience I had years ago. Today things may have changed, BlackBerry may have caught up and made some strides with the system. Let's just say that I don't regret moving from a BlackBerry to an iPhone 4. It does everything I want it to do and it does it well. It's intuitive and easy to use. The BlackBerry operating system just felt very clunky to me. As did the Android operating system, I just didn't find either of these to be that appealing.

That's just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

No comments: